- Timmy's tired.
- Timmy just worked 20 hours.
- Timmy revamped his corporate software.
- Timmy rebuilt his infrastructure.
- Timmy's going insane.
- But, Timmy thinks entrepreneurs are workhorses.
- So, Timmy thinks he's heading in the right direction.
Now, ask your bad self:
- Is Timmy really heading in the right direction?
If Timmy took 20 hours to debug a tiny piece of code for his client's software, did he really make good use of his time? Here's what conventional wisdom thinks:
- The more X hours you work, the more $X you'll make.
- The more stress you have, the more $X you'll make.
- The more hectic your schedule is, the more $X you'll make.
- The busier your schedule, the more $X you'll make.
Reality check time:
- No one cares how hard you work.
- No one cares how tired you are.
- No one cares how many stars you have.
- The world doesn't care.
- Your mom doesn't care.
The world doesn't pay for the number of hours you work. The world is selfish: It wants you to give it something first -- before it can return the favor. In our beautiful free market world, the gorgeous relationship boils down to this:
How Much You Earn = How Much Value You Provide to the World
- Don't spend chump hours.
- Don't do chump work.
- Don't make chump-change.
Instead, do something extraordinary.
Posted on October 18
Next tip »