"I can't do it until I have several employees!" But, wait: You CAN! How do you practice your business skills, even if you're just a 1-person company? Start by managing: Yo-self.
Why Practice Managing Yourself
Businesses run themselves like how their head honchos run their own lives. Ask yourself:
- How does my desk look? How are my cabinets filed?
If you were running a multi-million dollar business right now, your desk gives a pretty good indicator of how organized you'll run your company.
- How's my communication with ___________?
Your employees will feel the same way about your communication if you were steering an established company.
- How am I accomplishing my goals?
Rarely set 'em and accomplish 'em? You'd likely organize a business without any sense of direction.
How you run your life reflects how you'll run an established company. You'll suck at managing a business if you suck at managing yourself. Imagine: You = Fortune 500 Company Think: You, Inc.
- How would you set your goals?
- What brutal realities would you need to confront?
- What life skills would you need to adopt?
- What healthy habits would you need?
- How would you learn from mistakes?
- How would you stuff out suckiness?
Manage your life, and simultaneously develop your rock star business skills.
Posted on January 08
Next tip »