- How did Google get millions to switch email providers?
- How did Craigslist attract a freakish number of employers to post job listings?
- How did Plentyoffish, run by like two people, become the most populated dating website in the world?
They did this:
- They took something that people previously paid good money to have.
- They made it free.
The masses came.
Revenue opportunities skyrocketed.
- Google did it by offering 1GB of email space, 10x the amount of any other free service provider.
- Craigslist did it by allowing Bay Area residents to post free classifieds instead of shelling out $30 to local newspapers.
- Plentyoffish did it by letting the masses of singles view their entire database for free, instead of paying the high monthly fees of other dating online services.
Once you have a bunch of targeted customers in front of you, you create multiple opportunities to sell:
- "Hey, we're providing Service A for $x this month. You can buy it now at..."
- "Hey, we just built Product B for $x. You can purchase it at.."
- "Hey, we're coming out with Product C next month. Would you like to be on the waiting list?"
- Pick your target customer segment.
- Give away the "basic" version for free.
- Attract eyeballs galore. Grow.
The easiest way to attract masses of customers?
Posted on March 25
Next tip »