- You're shooting to accomplish Goal X in two days.
- Two days come, and you haven't accomplished Goal X. FAIL.
- Subconsciously, without any concrete goal set, you start working slower trying to accomplish Goal X.
- A week passes you by.
- Two weeks.
You finally finish.
What you had hoped to accomplish in two days turns into two weeks.
Freakish time wasted.
Massive opportunities to accomplish more things = down the tubes.
Why Humans Suck With Goals
- Billy Bob Krishnaramanan sets a goal.
- He fails at his goal.
- He keeps working on his old goal.
- MOTHERFREAKISH TIME WASTED.
- He finishes his goal.
- When you set concrete goals, you subconsciously drive yourself to complete Goal X by Date Y with maximum effort.
- When you have no due date for a goal, you aimlessly plow through your days hoping to accomplish something-anything-I'll-complete-it-sometime.
Setting no concrete due date to accomplish that old goal makes you expend freakishly more time on the %#@%#@ than necessary (e.g., a goal that should've taken two days turns into weeks because you've set no new target date).
- Set a goal. ("I will accomplish X by Y date.")
- When the date comes, set a new goal with a new due date (with the original goal included if you haven't finished it).
You'll see yourself accomplishing things quicker, as you become more efficient with your time.
Posted on June 01
Next tip »