- "I see myself with a 10-rating."
- "I am perfect."
- "Anything that ruins my self-image, I avoid."
- avoids looking at his late fees
- doesn't open his credit card bills
- doesn't check his client emails
- yadda, yadda, yadda
Bob wants to maintain his self-worth, and avoids anything that dents how he perceives himself.
Why do people avoid taking advice from others?
Status, status, status.
- "If I take your advice, I am lowering my status."
The next time you avoid something, ask your-bad-self that you're probably doing it because you want to keep yourself on that little pedestal.
"WHY AM I BEING SUCH A BEEEEEEEYOTCH?" you might ask yourself.
And then, you might learn to accept stepping off that pedestal and confront the things you've avoided.
Posted on October 30
Next tip »