- Lure customers in with freakish deals (a.k.a. doorbusters/loss-leaders).
- Expose them to more profitable/better offerings that rival their target buys.
- Strengthen business with more profits.
- "Item X for $50!"
- Customer sees Item Y, which is better/nicer/more-profitable.
- Customer chooses Item Y instead.
The ideal result is the company sells more profitable items than the unprofitable ones.
What Smarter Companies Do First
Speculating that the above will happen = gambling (results in a net profit growth of zero if done over the long-term).
The financially-smarter companies would do this instead:
- First, test an intended campaign with a sample group -- e.g., 1000 prospects -- with (a) the freakish-unprofitable deal, and (b) a profitable deal.
- See what buys result from the test.
- If the test results in ideal profits, promote and run with the campaign on Black Friday (or some other large scale campaign).
- 'We're okay with losing $ on Item A.'
- 'The marketing of Item A however will bring in more customers, which allows us to expose more prospects to the better/stronger/more-profitable rival, Item B'
And If All Else Fails
The shady trick:
- Stock a super limited supply of Item X.
- Promote the %$#@ out of it to attract large numbers.
- When the first 0.01% buys Item X, the store will expose the other 99.99% to the profitable Item Y instead.
(More numbers. More pitches. More sales.)
The Cumulative Results.
Posted on November 27
Next tip »