For all you entrepreneurial business peeps, your goals might resemble something similar:
- "By next month, I'll sell 20% more. Then, I'll be happy."
- "By Month 3, I'll sell 35% more. Then, I'll be happier."
- "By Month 4, I'll sell 50% more. Then, I'll be even happier."
- "Yay! High-fives all-around! Booyah!"
Two scenarios could happen:
- "I didn't reach my goals. I'm not happy."
- "I reached my goals. But, I'm not happy as I expected."
Why Johnny Ain't Happy
- "I expect Situation X will happen in the future."
- "I conclude Situation X will make me happy."
But uh-oh: According to Harvard's researcher Daniel Gilbert, conventional "happiness" is fleeting -- and we trick our minds into believing something that really won't happen. If you've ever:
- bought a new car
- got a that coveted birthday gift
- dated your dream boy/girl
- got a big raise
- had your wedding
You'd realize something after receiving something you just oh-so-totally thought would change your world:
- "Yo! I'm not as happy as I thought I would be."
- "My level of happiness just returned to normal."
- "But wait! Maybe chasing a different goal will make me really happy..."
(That vicious cycle of chasing happiness won't stop.) So, we all wonder:
- "Where's happiness?"
Say NO! to Chasing Happiness
If Johnny-boy ain't happy now, he won't get that happiness he desires even if he gets what covets. Falling into the anticipated-happiness-trap will disappoint him and you every-effin-time.
How to Be Happy
If you want to sense supreme happiness, try this:
- Choose a customer.
- Help that customer using your world-class gifts, as much as your freakishly can.
- Experience ridiculous happiness.
(Or if your butt has no customers, try helping somebody -- anybody.)
- Help two more peeps? Experience more happiness.
- Help three more? See even more happiness!
- Four more? Caution: You're entering sexy happiness time.
According to research on happiness from the London School of Economics: The more impact you feel you have on the world, the happier you'll be. So:
- Switch your mindset from "What can I get?" to "How can I mutha-!@#$% give?"
- Experience sweet happiness.
Affect the world. Be happy.
Posted on September 23
Next tip »