- You just interviewed Bob.
- Bob wasn't that good, and now you have to send him a rejection letter.
- "Unfortunately, you didn't meet our requirements.....blah...blah....blah."
"BAM SON WHY DO I SUCK SO MUCH? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Bob asks himself.
He feels bad for the the next two weeks, unmotivated, with zero self-esteem, and lying on his bed playing with himself.
How do you reject job candidates?
You can certainly give him the brutal truth, or you can try it in a more subtle way that even increases his confidence.
- "You are overqualified for the position."
And then sprinkle in the constructive feedback by turning the negative things you perceived into positive things:
- "This position is really simple, and I feel that your strong personality would get bored of it very quickly."
You start increasing his sense of self-worth, keep up his confidence, and let him tackle other job positions like a freak-on-a-#$@#-leash.
(You also don't burn any bridges with Bob and his network.)
Make yourself suck more to make him feel better.
Posted on October 30
Next tip »